Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Details.

Blog you say? You say you don't blog? You say you don't know HOW to blog? You don't know the rules of the blog? Oh, shush. It's EASY.

Basically, we're setting it up so that everyone who is invited/part of the Skillet has access to posting as well. If you don't want to log into the blog software, you can still post simply by using an e-mail address that we will send you. Write your post in your e-mail editor, hit send, and VOILA, it will get posted.

If you want to get creative, you can mess around with the Blogger software. You will need to make yourself an account on Blogspot or Google or Gmail to use it, but once you have it, you can log in easily. You can post photos, links to recipes, etc. Jess and I don't know the half of what you can do with the software, so you'll have to explore. If you get stuck, we can ask Paul to fix it.

You can post your own posts. And you can comment on other folks' posts. We've invited the beginnings of the group to be part of it. But there are others out there who should also be posting and be part of it. The only thing that we ask is that folks who are invited to post should know all the other posters. I mean, your friend Penelope may be really cool and a great cook, but if'n she isn't actually already connected to the rest of the family here in some manner, she's not likely to get an invite to be a full poster. That said, she can still read the blog and leave comments. 

The Rules.

There really aren't any. The Skillet is focused on food and family. It's not really intended to be a recipe blog per se, but rather what we are all doing with the recipes. For example, I don't really need to post the whole recipe to the Corn Pudding recipe that I made this weekend. What I should do is tell the story of how last weekend, I made several batches of Corn Pudding from different recipes in order to identify the best one, which I was planning on bringing to my friend Renee's Halloween birthday party this past weekend. And I would tell the story of the Haunted Driveway, the gingerbread cupcakes that I brought, tell you to skip the frosting bit of that one, and maybe stick in photo of the finished product. But I would just post the links to the recipes if they were already available on-line, rather than reproducing them here.

Now, if it were a recipe that I created myself (or got from a non-Internet source), well, then I might have to write that one up from scratch and post that in full... Like the one for Orange-Pecan Shortbread that I made up... Another time perhaps.



I might also tell you about a really great meal that I had out. Like the night that Dan and I stumbled into a new little bar in the South Side called "Yo Rita" and had the most lovely pineapple margaritas and softshell crab tacos. And I might even post a picture. Or two.




Finally, another thing that I might do is simply post a call out to the people I love for a recipe or an idea or some inspiration for something from the kitchen. 'Cause I've got a hankering for Sue's shrimp scampi or I am scared of cooking a roast beef and I need something to make with tequila...

Here's to good eats!

Sallyann

No comments:

Post a Comment